Friday, March 8, 2013

Concrete as a Casting Material in ComposiMold

Concrete isn't just for house foundations anymore! In my latest project I used concrete as my casting material to make a delicate tile to be used as a decorative accent in a plant pot or small garden.


 Supplies:
  • ComposiMold-LT
  • Silicone Mold Release
  • Bubble Buster
  • A wooden detail from the hardware store as my master object 
  • A mold box
  • Hot glue
  • QuickCrete brand concrete
  • Water
  • Dish to mix concrete in
  • Stir sticks
  • Gloves
  • Open window for ventilation
 Steps:
  1. Hot glue your master object down into a container that can withstand the heat of the melted ComposiMold.
  2. Apply a Silicone Mold Release to the object and the mold box.
  3. Apply Bubble Buster to reduce surface tension and bubble formation when making your mold. 
  4. Pour melted ComposiMold over master object.
  5. Let ComposiMold solidify back to it's original rubbery consistancy.
  6. Pull the master object out of your mold.
  7. Spray Silicone Mold Release into the mold. 
  8. Mix concrete per product instructions. I made sure my concrete was wet enough to be able to press it into my ComposiMold but overall much drier than I originally thought it should be. This ensures that your cast will be strong enough. A mix that has too much water will be very weak.
  9. Let the concrete harden per product instructions. I let my cast cure in my mold for 24 hours to be sure it wouldn't break.
  10. Enjoy your own concrete tile made from a wooden object you picked up at the hardware store!
Happy Mold Making! Michelle


 For More Information visit: www.ComposiMold.com www.Facebook.com/ComposiMold www.YouTube.com/ComposiMold order at www.ComposiTherm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy Mold Making and Casting with ComposiMold, ImPRESSive Putty, and EpoxyColors