Tuesday, July 30, 2013

ComposiMold's PowerMold Review by Heather

With her permission, I'd like to share a wonderful letter that Heather has sent us as she completes her MFA at University of Maine at Orono. I first met Heather in 2011 when I presented a seminar/class/tutorial on ComposiMold mold making to many of the artist on campus (Thank you to Matt and Jess LeClair for that opportunity). Heather is an amazing jewelry artist who has embraced ComposiMold as a way to make her art. Thank you Heather! I really appreciate the positive feedback and I can't wait to see your show! -Stan

Hi Stan,

Just want to say how much I have enjoyed using the power mold. I just ordered my 4th (or is it 5th?) 2.5lbs tub and in hindsight should have bitten the bullet and gotten the 10lb tub! It has worked well for concrete and I have pulled many castings from one mold with the advantage of recycling the material when I have made enough of one part. THIS IS A REALLY AMAZING PRODUCT! And I have been telling a lot of art friends about it.

I am planning a workshop, 'Small Scale Concrete Casting', which will feature PowerMold. I feel like I have really gotten the hang of using it to its full advantage and would like to share this experience and this amazing material with others in my area. The workshop will not happen for a few months because I am in the middle of finishing my thesis for my MFA (remember we met at your workshop at UMaine Orono?) but wanted to let you know this is in the works.

Speaking of my thesis, way back when I met you at Orono, I promised you some photos of the castings I would be making from the PowerMold. Finally that is possible. I have attached some photos of the in-progress stages of my thesis exhibit titled "The Weight of the Heavenly Garden in the Plane of Existence." Just a brief explanation of this is probably helpful: The work is based on my research about grief and mourning in American culture from the early 19th cen. to present. The pieces I am building (my background as a jeweler is a strong influence here) are based on Victorian mourning jewelry made from 'Jet', a black fossilized wood. My metaphor for the way one experiences grief is a great weight held in the body. The acanthus leaf motif used in the design is borrowed from Victorian funerary symbology, meaning 'the heavenly garden'. Thus, acanthus leaf sculptural jewelry made from pigmented black concrete, emphasis on the color and the weight of the material. Hope that explains it in a nutshell, any questions I am happy to explain further. (She asked that pictures wait until after her art opening, so no pictures of her work can be seen yet, but they are very cool The gallery opens on Aug. 9th! Postcard with show info also attached (see below), we would love you to come see!

Thank you for your amazing product, it has made this body of work not only possible but affordable! And for a working artist, the financial component is always a huge consideration and even potential barrier to production!

All best, 

Heather Perry

Heather Perry Fine Jewelry
www.heatherperryfinejewelry.com

Heather Perry Art Exhibit Opening September 6, 2013



For More Information visit:
www.ComposiMold.com 
www.Facebook.com/ComposiMold
 www.YouTube.com/ComposiMold
order at www.ComposiTherm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy Mold Making and Casting with ComposiMold, ImPRESSive Putty, and EpoxyColors