Saturday, December 29, 2012

Antique Santa Mold Recreated From a Plaster Cast

 My grand father (Pop Pop) came up from Florida for his every-other-year visit this Christmas. He brought with him a great attitude, a love of sweets, and this plaster cast that he made from an antique Chocolate Santa Mold. He's 89 years young and so clued in! He knows about my work with ComposiMold and knew I'd appreciate it. 



I appreciate everything that he shares with me. In fact, I have a couple original watercolor paintings that he made when he was in the service in World War II. He sketched and painted over one hundred scenes of his experience in the South Pacific. My Pop Pop is an amazing artist and human being and without him I wouldn't be half the artist I am today.

I'm happy to say that my ComposiMold made from this casting came out perfectly. I don't say that every time I make a mold. As I have written before, I experiment and sometimes have to remake a mold before it comes out right. This Santa mold, however, is beautiful. 


Process: 
I used plenty of Silicone Mold Release. I wanted it to thoroughly coat the plaster cast. In fact, you could go a step further and paint a layer of sealant over it before you begin. I then sprayed plenty of Bubble Buster over the Mold Release and poured my melted ComposiMold. 

Air Bubbles released from a crack in the plaster and I thought they might interfere with my mold upon solidification, however they did not. This is one of the clearest molds I've made. (Must be the love.)
 


 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Pop! Love Michelle


  
For More Information visit: www.ComposiMold.com www.Facebook.com/ComposiMold www.YouTube.com/ComposiMold order at www.ComposiTherm.com

1 comment:

Enjoy Mold Making and Casting with ComposiMold, ImPRESSive Putty, and EpoxyColors